Stretching & Flexibility/Thigh pain muscle strain

I have been trying to get my right side split for a few months. But during the last couple weeks it seems as I get farther and farther down the upper back part of my thigh near my butt would hurt and the pain would last an hour at the most. The other day when I finally achieved my goal that same spot hurt like it always did except a little bit worse and it wouldn't go away. I have had that pain for three days now and thought maybe if I stretched it out instead of leaving it stiff it would hurt less. When I did sure enough I could go down as far as the ground fine after a few tries but when I got up it hurt like crazy just to walk and sit down. Do you have anything I could do to help the muscle heal faster? I'm guessing its just a pulled muscle but it hurts terribly.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Without being able to consult with you personally I can't be 100% sure, but it sounds like you may have a minor muscle strain that is causing the pain.

There's a few things you can do; Firstly, apply ice for 24 hours. This will help to reduce any swelling in the area, and also help to minimize pain.

Next, apply heat and massage. This will help to speed up the repair process and get rid of any scar tissue that may have formed. There's more detailed information in the article below...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix and
The Stretching Institute

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.