Stretching & Flexibility/Trampolining & Curved Spine

Question
Hi Brad

I'm 22yr old female. I have a curved spine (not severely but just pointed out by a doctor) and one leg longer than the other (for which I have had no treatment). I also slouch a lot!

My question is, I have just started trampolining - nothing serious just messing around on one in our back garden! - will using a trampoline affect my curved spine? As in will it make it worse? Better? or not affect it at all? And will it help my posture?

Thank You, J.

Answer
Hi J,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Without being able to consult with you personally I can't be 100% sure, but the conditions you described are probably a lot more common that you realize, and unless they are severe, shouldn't stop you from enjoying an active lifestyle.

As long as you take note of how you are feeling and don't push yourself too much physically, trampolining is a great form of exercise and it shouldn't cause your curved spine to become any worse.

If you can give me a little more information about your "curved spine" I can offer some suggestions for treatment. Is it Scoliosis (curve to the left or right), lordosis (an excessive inward curvature of the lumbar or lower back), or kyphosis (abnormal outward curvature of the spine, generally in the upper back region).

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)