Stretching & Flexibility/Calf Muscle Pain in Tibia Region

I am a man 65 plus old. I am very fond of walking, but since sometimes past during walking I am feeling pain/uneasiness in calf muscle (both legs) and STRAINING in front leg bone (TIBIA/SHIN).I have consulted Conventional Doctors and as per them the pain in the leg may be due to
1) Knee Arthritis-Although I have no pain/swelling/inflammation in knees, while stretching the knees sometimes (OCCASIONALLY ONLY A FEW TIMES) a creaking /crunching sound is felt. And while standing from a sitting position a very soft discomfort is felt.          X Ray of legs in AP standing position was done and the report shows
A) Early OA changes are shown          B) Both knee joint spaces are slightly diminished          
But range of motion of knees is NOT AT ALL RESTRICTED
2) It may be due to Muscle Dystrophy (Muscle problem)
3) It may be due to TIBIA Nerve Problem
4)It may be due to VEIN problem
5) It may be due to Peripheral Artery Disease(Less blood flow in lower limbs)
         For Points Nos (4) and (5) above Doppler Sonography of lower limbs was done and the result shows a) No evidence of deep vein thrombosis, b) No soft tissue abnormality
         c) Normal flow of flow and velocities          d) but diffuse atherosclerosis(Hardening of Arteries)in lower limb arteries for which cholesterol levels was checked and Total Cholesterol and Triglycerides levels were higher for which allopathic medicines (Statin and Fenofibrate)are taken ,although they can control Cholesterol very well  this is causing leg pain as side effect
6)Calcium(considering bone density factor) and Potassium levels in blood also checked and found to be in order .Sometimes low Potassium level  leads to calf muscle problem.I have NO Uric Acid problem
7) I take allopathic medicines for blood pressure control, I can hardly sleep for 4-5 hrs per day, but I do not feel tired.I have no blood sugar problem.I exercise regularly
         Under this condition please advise to restore my normal walking capability considering knee /muscle/nerve/cholesterol problems.

Hi Kalyan,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Without being able to consult with you personally I can't be 100% sure, but it sounds like your medication may have something to do with the pain in your legs.

Here's a few suggestions:
* Heat and massage are very good at improving blood flow and helping to reduce muscle pain.
* Gentle stretching exercises are also very helpful. You can watch some of our stretching videos here...
* Increase fluid intake.

And there are a few other tips at the link below...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.