Stretching & Flexibility/Flexibility dissapears when cold

Question
Hi Brad,

I'm having the following problem:

Im 32 years old. For 2 years, almost everyday, I do dynamic stretches and static stretches. Sometimes twice a day. When i'm properly warmed up i can kick high without feeling stiff or pain. Before kicking I do dynamic leg swings and after practicing kicks I do static stretches.

The problem is whenever i'm cold i'm stiff as if i've never done any stretches in my life. Do I have to warm up the rest of my life in order to be flexible? Or is this normal and after a few more years I will be flexible even without warming up?

Do I have stiff ligaments? Can these ligaments be safely stretched?

I really appreciate your answer.

Best regards,

Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Even the most flexible people still have to warm up to achieve their best range of motion (ROM). Although, as your "warm" level of flexibility improves there is usually a small carry over effect to your "cold" level of flexibility. But no matter how flexible you get, you'll still need a moderate warm up to achieve your best ROM.

As for stiff ligaments? Ligaments attach bone to bone (as in the ligaments that hold the ankle joint together) and should never be stretched. Muscles, fascia and tendon (tendons attach muscle to bone) on the other hand, should be the focus of your stretching and can be stretched safely as long as you follow the guidelines for safe stretching... http://injuryfix.com/archives/good-stretch-bad-stretch.php

Everyone is different when it comes to stretching and flexibility. Myself, if I don't stretch for a few days I lose flexibility very quickly. Other people are naturally flexible and rarely do any stretching. The important thing is to understand how your body responds and adapt your training to suit your specific needs.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)