Stretching & Flexibility/Can you help?

Question
Daniel
I am an overweight (working on it) 55 year old rec hockey player. I am not too bad either, but I have one issue to overcome. I am hoping you can show me some stretches or exercises to help. When I come to a stop after retrieving the puck, instead of skating off with it,it is hard to get going again. I usually make a bad pass. I know my weight is a factor, but what can I do to help me go from a stopped position, usually wide leg, back to motion again?
Thanks!

Answer
Hey Bud

Thank you for your question. When your in the stopped position and want to go into motion again, there usually is involvement of the hip flexors.

One exercise that would be good to implement as an exercise called the 1-3-5 wall drill. This is a drill that will show you the proper mechanics of acceleration and work your muscles as one unit versus isolation. Basically you lean against the wall, your posture and core is in one line but you slightly lean forward with your arms extended and hands on the wall with your feet back. Then you would raise one knee explosively, then back down and then raise the other until you first do 1 repetition, then pause, 3 repetitions, pause and then 5 repetitions. This is a great exercise for acceleration development. Do the 1-3-5 wall drill (2 sets). Start in a controlled manner to get the exercise down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktiFMwXFxQ

The second exercise I would see fitting well is called the lateral skater jumps. This is a lateral jump that makes you jump from side to side raising the opposite knee. It is importantly to train lateral as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlIcZK3c3g4

Include these 2 exercises in your normal work out routine.  As for stretches it should be used at the end of the exercise session. If you have tight hamstrings you can do a seated hurdler stretch and hold for 30seconds (twice for each leg). Remember to do a proper dynamic warm up that will elevate the temperature of the muscles so it will adequately prepare you for the activity that is about to occur (5-10 minutes).

Hope this helps.

Stretching & Flexibility

Daniel