Stretching & Flexibility/Knee pain. Streching effort not showing results

Question
Suffering from right knee pain for 6 months. Doctor says hamstring/calf/itband/quads are too tight.I am going physiotherapy for 4 months but inspite of streching hard, muscles are still tight. Recently figured out that during hip stretch i was not able to keep by back down. Its 2 weeks hip is now stretched but doctor says still my quad/calf/itband/hamstring is tight pulling my kneecap outwards. Any suggestion to make stretching fruitful or figuring out errors.
I live in sunnyvale/CA but couldn't find out any institute which can help me stretch my body out.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ankur

Answer
Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Your comment... "in spite of stretching hard" is an indication as to why your flexibility isn't improving. Unlike strength training where the harder you push the stronger you get; stretching works the opposite way. The more gentle and relaxed you stretch the more flexible you get.

So it's not necessarily a routine or special stretches that you need; it's a change in the way you do your stretching that will help.

So my first recommendation would be to relax and don't push the stretching so hard.

Also, I recently wrote an article titled: 4 tips for improving your flexibility when you think you can't improve your flexibility. You can read the article at the following link... http://injuryfix.com/archives/improve-your-flexibility.php

The article covers things like: warming up; when to stretch; variety; types of stretching, etc. (And BTW, one of the best times to stretch is just before going to bed.)

As for different stretches that you can do for your quads, calves, hamstrings, etc. take a look at our free stretching videos here... http://injuryfix.com/stretching-videos.php

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)