Stretching & Flexibility/what forms of stretching are best when

I was always confused as to which form of stretching is best when. Long static isolated stretches seem only beneficial when you are really warmed up. Is contract agonist/relax agonist stretching safe and effective if you are not warmed up? Also is it beneficial to bounce gently (pulse) if your range of motion? The classic example is the butterfly stretch for the thigh adductors. I figured that this movement would keep increase circulation to the area being stretch whereas not moving at all may cause cramping.

Hi Rick,

Take a look at the article at the following link...

It includes a list and full description of all the different types of stretching, plus the advantages and disadvantages of each type.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.