Stretching & Flexibility/Getting a stretch

My piriformis and surrounding inner thigh/hip flexer muscles are incredibly tense every day and I cannot find any stretches that are effective. I am a dancer and athlete so I don't feel/get the full benefit from a lot of the stretches. What are some advanced stretches that I can use to ease this muscle?

Hi Athena,

Thanks for your inquiry.

2 suggestions: Firstly have a read through the following blog post... ...and work on some of the large muscle groups around the piriformis first. A lot of time, if you can loosen up the glutes, hips, lower back, etc. the piriformis will take care of itself.

And secondly, the type of stretching you do is more important than the actual stretches. So I want you to try two different types of stretching. Firstly, long, slow static stretching, as described here... ...and PNF stretching, described here...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.