Stretching & Flexibility/Shoulder and back stretch

Question
Hi Brad,
Really appreciate this forum and your willingness to answer questions. I currently stretch my shoulders and back quite a bit and I've seen slow progress. My routine consists of using resistance cables to pull me into a deeper stretch. I've done quite a bit of weight training but have neglected my shoulders a bit.
My questions:
1) what would be good stretches to achieve the ability to have my shoulders and back rotate but my spine stay stationary?
2) is there a point of dismissing returns, how often is ideal?
3) how important is it to stretch all body parts? I'm 38 years old
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Joey,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

As for different stretches that you can do for your shoulders, back and core, take a look at our free stretching videos here... http://injuryfix.com/stretching-videos.php

Choose videos from the following muscle groups: shoulders; chest; upper back; lower back; stomach; and sides.

I recently wrote 2 articles; the first titled: 4 tips for improving your flexibility when you think you can't improve your flexibility... http://injuryfix.com/archives/improve-your-flexibility.php

And the second article; How to Stretch, When to Stretch and Stretching Properly: Answers to common stretching questions to make sure you're stretching properly... http://injuryfix.com/archives/how-to-stretch.php

Between the 2 articles, they will answers all of your questions, including: warming up; when to stretch; variety; types of stretching, etc. (And BTW, one of the best times to stretch is just before going to bed.)

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)