Stretching & Flexibility/Lifting problems

Question
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to answer my question.

I am a recreational bodybuilder working out since last 4 years. I am gaining muscles and burning fat.

Recently I encountered these two problems on my Right side:

1.   There is a stiffness in the right shoulder joint. It does not hurt normally. Only when I lift heavier weights I feel it. Mainly during, bench press or dumbbell flies. The stiffness is very much inside the joint, close to place where the bones meet. It is not in the muscles. I am not being able to lift properly because of this. It had been a more than a month. I am stretching it regularly but no relief. I remember having this problem back when I started. But then, it was there for a couple of week only.

2.   The bicep muscle of my right hand is sore. It hurts when I lift (it do not hurt otherwise). Strength is much reduced. I am not working the biceps now, allowing it to relax. But it is affecting my Chest, back, and shoulder workouts as well.

I am taking a protein supplement (Ultimate Nutrition: Prostar), it should have repaired the muscles. But it had not.

I am 35, male. Can you please indicate some corrective measures.

Answer
Hi Milind,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

From your description it sounds like a simple case of over-training, which has resulted in some inflammation of the joint. Have a read through the article at the link below for more information about over-training and how to avoid it... http://injuryfix.com/archives/overtraining.php

In the meantime, immediate treatment is rest and ice for 48 to 72 hours. And then move onto heat and massage. Take a look at our article: Pulled Muscles, Scar Tissue and Re-Injury... http://injuryfix.com/archives/scar-tissue.php

It goes into a lot of detail on how to treat soft tissue injuries (like muscle strain and inflammation) and will help to answer any questions you might have about the treatment process.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)