Stretching & Flexibility/stretching forms

I am familiar with different stretching forms, but I haven't found a form that seems to work without  causes problems in other parts of my body. Being into weight training, I used a golgi tendon threshold stretch (Bob Parillo) which would be done in between sets. This worked well for quads or biceps but during my hamstring workouts I was partial to contract agonist stretch agonist stretching. Also what is you take on Dr. Stark's The stark reality of stretching? Right now I am attempted to use stretching to prevent pain by stretching muscles that are pulling on my weak links. Any suggestions?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Firstly, I wouldn't recommend any stretching in between your sets, except for some very gentle, short-hold static stretching. Slowly move into the stretch until you feel mild tension, hold it for no longer than 2 or 3 seconds, and then relax. Save the intense stretching (or more advanced stretching) for after your work out, or in the evening.

It's been a while since I read Stark's book, but I just had a quick flick through it and a lot of the fundamentals are covered well. The last revision was done back in October 1999, so it could do with a bit of an update, but the basics are there.

And if you're looking to use stretching to reduce pain, take a look at the article; "Reduce Your Chronic Pain by Avoiding These 3 Stretching Mistakes"

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.