Stretching & Flexibility/neck retraction

Was wondering what the reason I experience discomfort/pain when I retract my head (move it posteriorly) I know it is bad to keep the head in a protracted position, but why is it that all I eel is that i am jamming things things up? Also, what is your take on active release and graston technique? Thanks!!

Hi Rick,

Without being able to consult with you personally I couldn't offer you anything more than a guess, and that may do you more harm than good. I suggest you see a osteopath or a chiropractor.

Active release is very good, although a well trained osteopath or massage therapist can be just as effective. I haven't had any "hands-on" experience with graston technique, but from what I read it can be very effective. Like most forms of therapy; the therapist is more important than the treatment. In other words, an okay massage therapist will be better than a poor active release therapist.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.