Stretching & Flexibility/neck retraction

Question
Brad,
     Was wondering what the reason I experience discomfort/pain when I retract my head (move it posteriorly) I know it is bad to keep the head in a protracted position, but why is it that all I eel is that i am jamming things things up? Also, what is your take on active release and graston technique? Thanks!!

Answer
Hi Rick,

Without being able to consult with you personally I couldn't offer you anything more than a guess, and that may do you more harm than good. I suggest you see a osteopath or a chiropractor.

Active release is very good, although a well trained osteopath or massage therapist can be just as effective. I haven't had any "hands-on" experience with graston technique, but from what I read it can be very effective. Like most forms of therapy; the therapist is more important than the treatment. In other words, an okay massage therapist will be better than a poor active release therapist.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)