Stretching & Flexibility/Ab roller wheel

Question
Brad
I am 57, a bus driver by trade. A lot of my fellow drivers, even much younger ones, have back issues. My back is still good, probably because I take care of it-lots of exercise and stretches (that I got from you) and good posture. I would like to retire with a good back too. I saw an ad for the ab roller on TV and I had to bite. at $25 bucks no big deal. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Workout-Iron-Gym-Abdominal/dp/B00NI4NUFC/ref=sr_1
This one has a coil spring, so it helps push you back upright. Would this be a good addition to my workout? Should I use it for long slow stretches or as an aerobic type workout? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Bud,

Thanks for your inquiry.

This exercise tool is more for strength work than flexibility. So it's neither for long slow stretches or an aerobic type workout.

If you're trying to improve your core strength, then it could be a good addition to your workout, but without being able to consult with you personally (and not knowing what you are currently doing) I don't know if it is appropriate for you. And even with a coil spring to push you back upright, this is quite an intense exercise.

If you do decide to add it to your routine, make sure you start off very slowly and build up gradually.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit StretchCoach.com.

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)