Stretching & Flexibility/Tight ITB and knee pain

Hello brad. Hopefully I can explain this correctly. I have some knee pain and I am trying to fix. One thing I notice I am tight on  the leg that has knee problems when I cross my legs and that leg is underneath. Also if I just sit on the floor with my legs straight out and sitting on my behind I feel  tight and uncomfortable. Help

Hi George,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

The muscles that run from your lower back, down your backside, hamstrings and into your calves are all interconnected, so it's quite normal to feel tight or sore in any of these areas (and especially around the knee) when crossing your legs or doing the stretch you described.

The first stretch I recommend that you try is a stretch for the outside of your leg. This will help to loosen up the Iliotibial Band (ITB), which is a common cause of knee pain. You can find more information about Iliotibial Band Syndrome and a great stretch to help relieve knee pain from ITB syndrome here...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.