Stretching & Flexibility/Ballet

Question
I writing you because of my 9 years old son, who almost got submitted to the Royal Ballet, here in Copenhagen, almost because the reason why he did not go all the ways was that his achillise  was too short so they are afraid that he will injure himself and there are also positions that are a bit hard for him. His muscle on his bag thighs are also a bit tight. Is it possible to stretch his achillise so he will be able to dance on such a high level?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Vibeke,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

The Achilles is only part of what he needs to stretch; Achilles flexibility is also limited by tight calves and hamstrings, and even tight lower back and buttocks.

Here's some suggestions for improving flexibility for dance and ballet, which often requires more flexibility than other sports... http://stretchcoach.com/articles/improve-your-flexibility/

And stretches for the Achilles, calves, hamstrings, etc. are here... http://stretchcoach.com/resources/stretching-videos/

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit StretchCoach.com.

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)