Stretching & Flexibility/painful chest

I have a decreased external rotation in my shoulders which is most noticeable when my arms are bent 90 degrees. If i attempt to external rotate i feel a pulling in my upper pecs near the arm. I did a chest workout, but that was 5 days ago. What form of stretching would be best? C What I had learned from books is that this is either from pec minor tightness or subscapularis. I don't really feel that they are restricting my range of motion. To give you a better idea of what is going on with me.
If i would lie on the ground and "attempt" to mimic a child doing a snow angel in the snow i would experience pain in my upper pec area when my arm would go over my shoulders. Any suggestions?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

2 suggestions: Firstly, get some heat and massage into that area. That will increase blood floww and help them loosen up.

And secondly, start with some very gentle PNF stretching for the chest and shoulders.

Info on PNF stretching is here...

And stretches for the chest and shoulder are here...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.