Stretching & Flexibility/Neck stretches

Question
Are there certain stretches one should avoid for the neck? I placed my head on a gym mat and rolled forward slowly without that much of my bodies' weight on it and I pulled something in my neck and it was quit painful and limited my range of motion for the first day. It has been 4 days and it still hurts a little but seems to be recovering. I am 35. What neck stretches are best in general that don't take risk of injury?

Answer
Hi James,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Firstly, take a look at the following article on treating muscle strain injuries. It's important that you get that sorted out before trying any more stretches or other exercises... http://stretchcoach.com/articles/sports-injuries-part-1/

As for which stretches you should or shouldn't do, take a look at this article on how to choose the right stretch for you... http://stretchcoach.com/articles/good-stretch-bad-stretch/

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit StretchCoach.com.

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)