Stretching & Flexibility/Hip Flexor, glute, etc. sharp pain

I developed a rather sudden onset of sharp pain on my right leg and assume it involves hip flexor, gluteus medius and psoas muscles about 6 weeks ago and it continues.  I have a trainer who helps with quad and aductor stretches and a great massage therapist who has treated me about 4 times now.  Stretching various ways does help and 40 minutes of jets in the hot tub also helped.  Ice does not seem to.
But it is still an issue.  It affects my sleep as every move or bend of my right leg issues sharp pain in those areas.

I had spent several hours at the computer trying to find printer replacement parts and a faucet replacement of an usual size and the time and most importantly, the increasing frustration and tension....???....may have been the culprit.  This occurred about 6 days before the sudden sharp pain presented.

Any advice is appreciated and needed.   Thank you

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Without being able to consult with your personally I can't be 100% sure, but from your description it sounds you a muscle strain of some sort.

At this stage of the injury (6 weeks on) ice will be of little if any use, so there's no need to use ice any more.

Heat and deep tissue massage are the most important treatments at this stage, so stick with them.

Also, take a look at the following article on treating muscle strain injuries. It's important that you get the injury sorted out before trying any stretches or other exercises...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.