Stretching & Flexibility/Shoulder & arm pain

Hi Brad I have calcification in my subscapularis muscle (13 mm) near the insertion and a smaller amount more medially. Are there stretches that will reduce the effect this condition has on my shoulder and upper arm and possibly work towards correcting the problem?

Hi Vern,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Stretching will have minimal effect on calcification, but is very important later in the rehab process.

At this stage heat and massage (deep tissue or sports massage) are most effective in removing calcification and scar tissue from the muscle. There's more information about removing scar tissue and calcification here...

And for a complete treatment process, take a look at...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.