Stretching & Flexibility/stretching order

Question
Brad,
    I was wondering if there if is an optimal order for stretching the m posterior muscles  from the glute to the foot (glute, hamstring, calf). Is it better to stretch proximal to distal or proximal to distal?

Answer
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Limited data exists on what order individual stretches should be done in. However, some researchers have suggested designing flexibility training programs that start with the core muscles of the stomach, sides, back and neck, and then work out to the extremities. So working from proximal to distal could be beneficial.

Others have recommended starting with sitting stretches, because there is less chance of accidental injury while sitting, before moving on to standing stretches.

The exact order in which individual stretches are done is not the main point of emphasis; the main priority is to cover all the major muscle groups and their opposing muscles, and to work on those areas that are most tight or more important for your specific sport.

Here's some more answers to common questions about stretching... http://stretchcoach.com/articles/how-to-stretch/

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit StretchCoach.com.

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach™

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)