Stretching & Flexibility/Coupling stretching with gym

I feel my body getting stiffer after weight training sessions.

Can you please tell me how can I integrate stretching exercises into my regime such that muscular and stretching growth aspects both are not affected ?

Also clarify whether its true that only stretching or weightlifting can be done singly at a time not both ? If yes, can these be done on alternate days?

Hi Devanshu,

Thanks for your inquiry.

A good cool down, which includes stretching, after your weight training sessions will eliminate those tight, stiff muscles. Take a look at this article for some cool down ideas...

You can do weight training and stretching both on the same day. Do most of your stretching as part of the cool down after your weight training sessions.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.