Stretching & Flexibility/Help. Muscle pain during exercise

Question
I've been having serious pain in my ankles. I don't know all the muscles in the leg, but I did take anatomy in college. Not a doctor, but I know it's a fibularis muscle. Fibularis brevis? Fibularis longus? I don't know.

But the muscle(s) in my ankles will tighten while I'm walking until it's unbearable to actually bend my ankles in a normal walking motion, so I'm almost stomping. I have to take frequent breaks and rest, rub, and stretch.

Went to the doctor, he says it's because I'm out of shape. How long is it going to take for me to get in shape enough that it will stop hurting? It has been persisting for years.

Answer
Hi Kayla,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Without being able to consult with you personally I can only offer you some general recommendations, but if it is being caused by a lack of conditioning then some heat, massage and very gentle stretching will help to loosen up your ankles.

Try this before you go for a walk and before going to bed at night. Try some of the calf and Achilles stretches at the links below (but remember; gentle stretching, not too hard).

http://stretchcoach.com/articles/calf-stretch-video/
http://stretchcoach.com/articles/achilles-stretch-video/

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit StretchCoach.com.

Brad Walker
The Stretch Coach

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)