Student Loans/financial aide for adults

Question
Hi, I recently volunteered twice a week in my 1st grader's classroom and enjoyed it so much that I decided to become certified as a Teachers Aide.  After thinking about it for a while I decided to look into what it would take for me to become a professional elementary school teacher.  I have looked into the requirements for New York state where I live and some college is required.  So I looked into Grants and Scholarships, but none of them seem to apply to me.  I am a stay at home parent, so money is limited and in order to get a degree, my best option would probably be to learn online if at all possible.  I am writing to ask if you can give me any information about Grants for people who want to go to college to learn to teach, or some kind of financial aide that I may be able to get to help me get my degree here in New York state?  If not, are there any other avenues that can lead to a career in teaching besides college? Any information you can give me to point me in the right direction would be highly appreciated.  Thanks, Danyel.

Answer
Hi there

I'd start with federal aid programs first by applying at www.fasfa.ed.gov  This will also be the gateway to most state and institutional aid.  Schools that focus on teaching degrees may also have specialized scholarships and grants for those pursuing teaching.

You will need a degree to pursue teaching - maybe even a Masters.  It's doubtful you can do it all online.  I would explore colleges that specialize in teaching degrees.

best of luck
Betsy

Student Loans

Betsy