Student Loans/financial aide for adults

Hi, I recently volunteered twice a week in my 1st grader's classroom and enjoyed it so much that I decided to become certified as a Teachers Aide.  After thinking about it for a while I decided to look into what it would take for me to become a professional elementary school teacher.  I have looked into the requirements for New York state where I live and some college is required.  So I looked into Grants and Scholarships, but none of them seem to apply to me.  I am a stay at home parent, so money is limited and in order to get a degree, my best option would probably be to learn online if at all possible.  I am writing to ask if you can give me any information about Grants for people who want to go to college to learn to teach, or some kind of financial aide that I may be able to get to help me get my degree here in New York state?  If not, are there any other avenues that can lead to a career in teaching besides college? Any information you can give me to point me in the right direction would be highly appreciated.  Thanks, Danyel.

Hi there

I'd start with federal aid programs first by applying at  This will also be the gateway to most state and institutional aid.  Schools that focus on teaching degrees may also have specialized scholarships and grants for those pursuing teaching.

You will need a degree to pursue teaching - maybe even a Masters.  It's doubtful you can do it all online.  I would explore colleges that specialize in teaching degrees.

best of luck

Student Loans

I can answer any questions about federal student loans and many about private student loans. I can also answer questions about other types of financial aid. I am not a financial planner or attorney so cannot give investment or legal opinions.

I have worked in the student loan industry for over 15 years - primarily in the compliance area. I also work with borrowers with particularly complicated issues. I had a column answering financial aid questions in several newspapers for seven years and have appeared in several radio and television segments on student loans and financial aid. I have given presentations all over the world on the US financial aid programs.

National Council of Student Loan Programs Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators

Boston Metro Washington Post Express various industry blogs and newsletters

BS in Business Communications.