Sublime/Great Stone Lyric

The Idler wrote at 2009-08-13 11:53:41
Chalice is often used to mean a pipe for smoking ganja. I assume this is because in Rastafari, a ganja is taken as a sacrament, like wine is in Christianity, so the metaphor is extended such that a pipe is a cup or chalice for smoking ganja.

There are lots of references to lighting, burning, or licking the chalice in Reggae (and even in Ian Dury and the Blockheads' "Reasons to be cheerful, part 3".

I always assumed a telephone chalice was a particular type of pipe that looks a bit like a telephone, although I don't know for sure.

I do know that Buju Banton mentions a 'telephone chalice' in his song Sensimelia Persecution though.

Rastaman wrote at 2010-12-28 00:06:39
        A telephone chalice is a water bong made from a telephone bandset the ones used by BELL telephone back in the days. It was a common pipe made by Rastafarians back in the 70s and 80s in Jamaica.

sdub wrote at 2011-08-09 02:39:18
He is actually saying telephone chalice. Rastas/Jamaicans use the word chalice to refer to water pipes, and a telephone chalice is simply a water pipe made from a telephone handset.  

siwoofsdeh wrote at 2013-02-06 16:35:35
The big fabric of this song is taken from Horace Ferguson's "Great Stone." In it Ferguson says "Burn my telephone chalice, bless I Jah" and I can only presume that's what Brad is at least trying to say. I think that Brad had somewhat of a photographic memory for songs. I mean listen to Brad's cover of Slightly Stoopid's "Prophet." He really just kind of wings it. He fudges up his own lyrics a lot of the time, he is very in the moment. Hope you check out Horace Ferguson's version, it is really neat to hear how directly influenced Brad was by a lot of early Dancehall artists.

Big love,

Blake

Sublimedotfr wrote at 2014-05-30 01:49:37
By the way in that song "Great Stone" & many other live versions & other live freestyle from sublime, Brad also pick up some lyrics from some other songs in that mix tape called "Great Dub Riddim" reedited in 2010, for example "no dog no bark" by U-Roy or "dread a no style" by Horace Andy..

sublimedotfr wrote at 2014-05-30 01:55:16
"Great Stone" is a song by Horace Andy available in a reedited in 2010 mix tape called "Great Dub Riddim" & in many other live versions & other live freestyle from sublime, Brad also pick up some lyrics from some other songs in that mix tape called "Great Dub Riddim" reedited in 2010, for example "no dog no bark" by U-Roy or "dread a no style" by Horace Andy..

Sublime

Matt Maguire