Sublime/the brown guitar

the brown guitar
the brown guitar  
Hi Matt.

You mentioned in another post that Brad's custom guitar may be on display at a hard rock? I thought for sure that Jakob would have it. Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks a lot.

As far as I know, it is at the Hard Rock Cafe -- do you know otherwise? Regardless, I've never seen Jakob with it; only seen him with an acoustic of Brad's.

Here's an article from 1997 on the making of the guitar:

A Sublime Axology

For all you guitar junkies out there, here's a short side-article from an October 97, Guitar World magazine. It tells about Brad, and Eric's guitars.

Dan McDonald isn't a world famous guitar builder. He's not even regionally famous. Still, the guitar he built for his friend Brad Nowell- which he affectionately calls "the brown guitar"-- has been seen and heard by millions. A veteran of the Orange County band scene, McDonald played with longtime friends Eric Wilson, and Bud Gaugh in a band called Juice Bros. and did guitar repairs for friends before working for Sublime as the band's guitar and bass tech.

But McDonald had always wanted to make a guitar from scratch. Coincidentally, by early 1993, Nowell was desperately in need of a guitar. "He completely thrashed his Ibanez. It was hardly working."

McDonald built the "brown guitar" as a gift. "I wanted to build him something that he'd really love. That he'd use all the time," he says. Months later, McDonald emerged with the famous "brown guitar." It's a relatively straight-forward design; Honduran mahogany body and a maple neck with an ebony fretboard, Floyd Rose tremolo system, Gotoh tuners, and two humbucking pickups--a Seymour Duncan JB in the lead position and a leftover from a trashed Dean guitar for the neck. For the guitar's finish, McDonald used a water-based powder pigment that he let soak in the wood.

Nowell used his new guitar almost exclusively on the band's recent self-titled album (on which McDonald cites "Wrong Way" as being the song that best captures the instrument) and as his main stage guitar from 93' onward. Plugged into a Mesa Duel or Rectifier half-stack, it was the only axe Nowell needed for Sublime shows. "Actually," comments McDonald, "I would always have to keep the brown guitar up and running because when he'd break a string or if it went out of tune--which usually happen--I'd hand him the Ibanez and he'd look at me like 'Jeez!,' and he'd go back and fuck with the equalization on the Mesa."

McDonald also built Eric Wilson's green, ripper-inspired bass. Built entirely of Maple with an ebony fretboard, it uses a G&L humbucker in the middle and a Dimarzio Model 1 for the neck. Plugged straight into a SVT head and cabinet, "the green bass" was Wilson's favorite instrument; his workhorse Music Man was relegated to "backup" status. For the album, Wilson used the "green bass" for the reggae and dub-influenced songs, and the Music Man on punk tunes.

Matt Maguire

Guarantee: you will receive an answer within 2 days of posting the question -- whether it is a referral to a different expert or a straight answer to your question. I can answer most questions about the band, the significance of the lyrics, the show dates, the unreleased albums and tracks, misinformation, and, above all, I am an expert on their influences and related music. Additionally, if you're looking for that hard to find track or a cheap alternative to the $300 book Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk, I might be able to help.

I have been a huge fan for 16 years, I ran a server which distributed Sublime's live and unreleased music 24/7 for 4 years, I have answered questions about the band daily for a decade on their old website, and I know some of the largest collectors in the world. I created the 5 CD bootleg "Rewind Selector" which documents the influences of Sublime and was the topic of a Spin Magazine interview.

I did not study music in college, but I majored in English, so I can write a clear response. I worked as a research assistant in the past, so I have skills in research if I need to figure out an answer.

Sublime fans aren't my clients, but I have distributed swag and rare tracks to all those who want them for years at little cost.