Sublime/Raleigh Theodore Sakers

QUESTION: I'm pretty sure I figured out who it was!!!!!! Do you have any idea who it was? After all this time!

ANSWER: Kevin,

Please don't tell me you think it was Opie making a voice or something like some believe. People have traced the life of Raleigh on and through public records through marriage and death. What's your theory? I'm interested. Please back up with facts.

QUESTION: No! I'm 99% sure it was Neil Cassady! The only problem with that theory is that he died mysteriously some time in 68... He sounds identical, was a genius, did a lot of drugs (explains the halfway house), and sounds identical! If Neil isn't Raleigh I'm a goose. Look him up on youtube, he just rambles on and on about (almost) nonsense while he was driving the merry pranksters bus. They even said he was like a radio that wouldn't turn off... mix that with the fact that their voices are identical and this is the single best candidate for Raleigh to date!

I was gonna post this on a sublime forum, but the only one I found wouldn't accept my email address for whatever reason, so you're the only other one who knows this. Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned.

Hello Kevin,

I have checked out some Neal Cassady audio and some history of the guy. Then I reviewed Raleigh's rant in full, the 31:51 version.

Here are some issues I found:

1) First of all, I didn't find Neal Cassady to be very crude, whereas Raleigh is always cursing.
2) The date of death for Neal is Feb 4th, 1968, which presents some problems. Believe it or not, George Romero is credited as "inventing" the popular idea of zombies, which Raleigh mentions around 5 minutes in, but his movie "Night of the Living Dead" didn't come out until Oct 1, 1968, after the death of Neal Cassady. Yes there are Haitian and other cultural references to living dead, but the word zombie was not in popular culture and regular use, to my knowledge.
3) Most of the recordings I have found of Neal Cassady are of worse quality than Raleigh and I find it hard to believe that there is a better recording that no one knows about.
4) Neal lived in San Francisco and NYC and in Mexico in the 60s, but when his recording is interrupted and he calls the cops, he gives the address at 12309 Ventura Street (Los Angeles).
5) Neal was not known for using different names on his recordings and Raleigh mentions his own name many times throughout the recording.
6) People (the guy who runs the Sublime with Rome forum) have used to determine Raleigh's real life, wife, places he lived, and his death. That's a very unique name and he was found to follow the path that one might expect to cross Sublime's. Very little info was there, besides government records. So Raleigh was Raleigh, unless Neal was pretending to be a real person that no one had heard of and who did not live near him.
7) At 15 minutes into the rant, the guy comes in the room and threatens Raleigh. Everything from his mouth sounds like a 1980s Southern California guy, not a 1960s person in SF, LA, or NYC (and Neal was in Mexico).
8) Raleigh rants about how he's creating a science-fiction magazine. Neal Cassidy was a beat poet, uninterested in sci-fi.
9) After Raleigh calls the cops, he yells at the man saying "You're a punk. Not a punker, a punk!" The punk movement didn't develop until the mid-70 (really the 80s), so that term wasn't really available to Neal during his lifetime.
10) Raleigh quotes a 1981 song at 26:15 "You're in the army nooow" by Status Quo. He quotes many songs from the 50s and earlier, but this song is well after Neal's death.
11) The final nail in the coffin for me is that I don't think it sounds like Raliegh. Sorry. I think Raleigh sounds like an old man ranting in the 80s, not a young hipster who is 40 or younger.

I think the mystery is solved, however, by The true mystery is how did Sublime get the tape? They obfuscate this many times in interview with different stories.

Thanks for bringing this original theory to me. I like hearing all ideas on the subject -- especially ones I had not heard.

Matt Maguire

Guarantee: you will receive an answer within 2 days of posting the question -- whether it is a referral to a different expert or a straight answer to your question. I can answer most questions about the band, the significance of the lyrics, the show dates, the unreleased albums and tracks, misinformation, and, above all, I am an expert on their influences and related music. Additionally, if you're looking for that hard to find track or a cheap alternative to the $300 book Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk, I might be able to help.

I have been a huge fan for 16 years, I ran a server which distributed Sublime's live and unreleased music 24/7 for 4 years, I have answered questions about the band daily for a decade on their old website, and I know some of the largest collectors in the world. I created the 5 CD bootleg "Rewind Selector" which documents the influences of Sublime and was the topic of a Spin Magazine interview.

I did not study music in college, but I majored in English, so I can write a clear response. I worked as a research assistant in the past, so I have skills in research if I need to figure out an answer.

Sublime fans aren't my clients, but I have distributed swag and rare tracks to all those who want them for years at little cost.