Sublime/Don't Care Too Much For Reggae

Hey man I was wondering if I heard the song correctly, but it sounds like they mention Raliegh Theodore Sakers a few times. It seems like at the end I think Eric asks the dude if he wants to meet raliegh. I may have heard wrong though. I'm not sure if he is even a real guy I've only heard the soliquays but anyway is that what I heard?

Hey Brandon,

Raleigh is definitely mentioned at the end of the song.  The lyrics are, "Hey, y'all meet Raleigh?" from azlyrics dot com  I only heard him mentioned once.  Raleigh was a real guy, a real weird guy.  I never met him.  I'm not even sure if Brad ever met him.  Some one connected to Sublime obviously recorded him and then Sublime made the guy pretty famous.

Also ask Matt Maguire this question (if you didn't already) because he will probably have more information on Raleigh than I will.

As for the title of the song, "Don't Care Too Much For Reggae," those were definitely Brad's thoughts about Roots Reggae.  Brad told me many times that he really didn't like Bob Marley type roots reggae but he definitely loved the more modern Dub Reggae.

The whole style or content of the song is pretty classic Sublime activity.  What I assume is Eric, Opie, and Miguel did was wander around a tough part of Long Beach or any other relatively big city and just record whatever was said.  Brad, Miguel, Eric and I did the same thing once in San Francisco.  I can't even remember if Miguel recorded it but we just took a bus and got off near the Tenderloin (a pretty sketchy area) and then walked over to some of Eric's friends house in the Mission.  This was in the middle of the day on a weekend and we just ambled around talking with random people.  This was around the same time that Robbin the Hood came out, 1992 or 1993.

I hope that this helps.  Take care and have a rocking Christmas.

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.