Sublime/Sublime Stuff

In the begining of Sublime did they startout with original music or cover band? I don't mean covery like taking samples, lyrics or a melody from a song. I mean full cover of a song even like Scarlet Begonias where they took the song and played it in their own style.
..and whether they did our didn't counld you share some insights about which is better to do. I've just recently started a band with random musicians (We all have different taste and just met) the others wanna do a lot of covers but writing original music seems like a better idea to me.
Sorry if this was unclear I typed this is when I was taking a test in science class.

Sublime was never a cover band, though, as you said, they covered some songs (like all musicians).

Before Sublime, there were bands like Hogans Heroes and Sloppy Seconds where they played originals, but also put their own spin on their favorite influences.

There isn't an easy answer for what makes more money (one interpretation of "better to do") because Sublime with Rome which is arguably a cover band, makes more than Sublime ever did -- same with Badfish.

It depends what your skillset is. "Practice makes perfect" is an adage you have heard, but there is truth behind it. The Beatles started off playing 8 hours a day, 7 days a week in a strip club. Whatever can get you all the most time playing is important. That's why many bands cover other songs while playing some of their own.

Regardless, the correct answer to this question is pay attention in science class.

Matt Maguire

Guarantee: you will receive an answer within 2 days of posting the question -- whether it is a referral to a different expert or a straight answer to your question. I can answer most questions about the band, the significance of the lyrics, the show dates, the unreleased albums and tracks, misinformation, and, above all, I am an expert on their influences and related music. Additionally, if you're looking for that hard to find track or a cheap alternative to the $300 book Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk, I might be able to help.

I have been a huge fan for 16 years, I ran a server which distributed Sublime's live and unreleased music 24/7 for 4 years, I have answered questions about the band daily for a decade on their old website, and I know some of the largest collectors in the world. I created the 5 CD bootleg "Rewind Selector" which documents the influences of Sublime and was the topic of a Spin Magazine interview.

I did not study music in college, but I majored in English, so I can write a clear response. I worked as a research assistant in the past, so I have skills in research if I need to figure out an answer.

Sublime fans aren't my clients, but I have distributed swag and rare tracks to all those who want them for years at little cost.