Sublime/Sublime Stuff

I wanna know what it was like to hangout with the band and more importantly to party with the band. If you have memorable stories about all three members. What kinda phrases did you guys use
What kinda jokes did they tell or things did they talk about. Basically what was it like to kick it with sublime.

Thanks sublime has been an influence to me and I always like to learn as much as I can. Expect future questions from me cuh

First of all, sorry for the long delay in getting back to you.  I live in Malaysia now and I went to Burma for work.  I'm now preparing for another longer trip so sorry for all the flakiness and the delay in getting back to you.

I never was a member of the Sublime entourage/posse.  I lived with Brad in college from 1986 to 1988 so I was not still living with him when Sublime really started going strong.

Brad and I would hang out when Sublime would come through the cities that I was living in and I would get to go see the shows.  I only saw one Sublime show in Long Beach and that was one of those classic backyard parties in the summer of 1989.  I really never hung out much with Bud nor Eric.

One of my few and favorite memories of Bud was when I first met him and he was working in a hardware store.  He was busy working and Brad asked him something and he basically said, "Brad, get a f*@#ing job dude."  As it turns out, that was pretty typical Bud, saying exactly what he felt at the moment.

I have more memories of Eric.  Maybe my fondest one was hanging out with him all night on Brad and Troy's wedding night in Vegas.  Eric was pretty classic that night.  There was a Hawaiian theme to the wedding and Eric had a full aloha suit on that included a Hawaiian shirt and matching shorts.  Hilarious. In retrospect, I should have been with Brad and Troy because he would only be alive for another week.  :(

This is a really short memory but one that keeps bubbling into consciousness lately. It was 1993 and Sublime was at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California. For some reason I can not remember the show at all, not even one song. After the show, we were sitting down and some dude came up and started chatting with Brad. I think the guy was a musician, most likely a trumpet or sax player.

I was not into talking to this guy. He struck me as a dork and I just wanted him to go away. Brad, on the other hand, was so gracious and civil with him that I still can remember this close to 20 years later. Brad ,or most people for that matter, didn't always treat everyone with this same amount of decency but for some reason Brad was genuinely interested in what the dude had to say.

I'm not going to make this into some epic epiphany moment because it wasn't but after all this time, I realize it was one of those moments I could have learned a lot from at the time. :)

If you haven't already, go check out the Sublime Wiki and look under Articles/Interviews and then 2010 and you can read some other stuff that I wrote up.

So it was pretty rare when I would hang out with the entire Sublime posse.  That just wasn't my scene and besides I didn't even live near Long Beach.  I got small and very infrequent glimpses of it when Sublime would come to town.

Another factor is that Brad, Eric and Bud didn't always hang out, just the three of them.  All three of them kind of had their own scene or set of friends especially when they toured.  I think that this is pretty typical of many bands.

The people to talk to about this would be Miguel, Z-Man and Opie but I guess neither of them wrote a memoir yet.

So sorry not to be able to totally answer your question with a lot of detail.  Check out that video Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations if you haven't already.  That might give you a sense of how they talked, joked, and partied.

Take care!

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.