Sublime/Bootleg cd question

Hey i got a question to ask ya what was the first sublime album that put out,was it sinsemilla or jah wont pay the bills?

Hey Dylon,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I would say that 40 Oz. to Freedom was the first real album.

Most Sublime experts consider C003 their first recording or demo tape.  Only about 50 tapes were made.  Brad never gave me one nor even mentioned it to me.  I'm certain that these early songs and many of the songs on Jah Won't Pay the Bills are songs that he started to write when we lived together.

Their next official recording was Jah Won't Pay the Bills which was another demo tape released literally only as a cassette tape.  According to sublimestp, a web site that I recommend checking out, only about 300 copies were made.  In true Sublime style, Brad and the boys mostly just gave these out and didn't sell too many of them.  I still have my cassette tape and I played it about 3-4 years ago successfully but it is seriously warped.  Pretty classic.

The tradition of the do it yourself ethos continued with 40 Oz. to Freedom.  They recorded it themselves and mostly gave it away to friends and fans.  A lot of people like to say that they sold it out of the trunk of their cars but I remember it mostly as, "Dude.  Check this out... Thanks for coming to the show..."  Sure, of course they sold some but they didn't (as far as I remember) have a distribution network besides themselves and their friends.  I don't think that a person could buy 40 Oz. to Freedom in a record store until about 1996 or even 1997.  Unfortunately by that time the record label, due to copyright issues, altered the original album.  If you haven't already, try to check out the original 40 Oz.  It is incredible.

I hope that this answers your question.  Keep the good questions coming.

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.