Sublime/Get out (original)

Question
I was wondering what the background music/sample was for the freestyle part (I think done by Miguel) during the song?

Answer
Hi Dave,

You're talking about the lyrics from the original version of 40oz to Freedom, with the lyrics close to this:

"So sit, don't trip,
I'm cuttin hits like Bert Susanka's got the shrimp dip.
I get it, get it, get it, get it, all the time:
The people want to know the meaning of the word Sublime.
It's anarchist, man it's the shit you missed,
We got the Minutemen loops and add a PENI twist,

Cuz we know you love the pit,
But this is the shit,
That you put in the box And say "Damn that's a hit!"
And to all the radios and the tv shows
We don't kiss no ass or kick down free shows.
What you get is the kind, no gank, no cess,
When Yellow Lover on the d-r-u-m-s"

All the known samples for this version of this song are listed on Rewind Selector, which of course, includes the Minutemen loops. There were several samples that were removed to get the album on later prints. As you may know, Led Zepp doesn't exactly like being sampled, but what surprised me was the sample from my childhood, School House Rock!

Get Out! ---- It's Expected I'm Gone (Minutemen) [drum fill]
Get Out! ---- Slow Ride (Beastie Boys) [opening horns]
Get Out! ---- Clean Up Woman (Betty Wright) [background sample]
Get Out! ---- If It Ain't Ruff (N.W.A) [let me bust a freestyle then]
Get Out! ---- Clips from the film Scarface [Fuck you mang!]
Get Out! ---- Fuck 'Em (The Geto Boys) [I got a bone to pick]
Get Out! ---- Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin) [drumroll at 1:14]
Get Out! ---- Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin) [bassline at the end]
Get Out! ---- Four Legged Zoo (School House Rock) [ 1, 2, 3, 4, elk and bison, a gnu or two]

They really pulled from everywhere.

Hope this helps you out.
Matt  

Sublime

Matt Maguire