Sublime/Sublime

Question
Dear Andy,

I'll make things short and get down to the question and i'm not to sure if it has been answered already but here it is:

If the greatest front man of all time was alive today still making music with his ban how would Sublime change music it's self in today's communities?

I believe that if Sublime was still making music they would of changed music forever because everyone would have adapt to that reggae funky style a type of music where you can play anywhere and people would love to hear and dance to. Sublime's type of music is like a drug just like mary jane makes everyone happy in it's own way. Even though Sublime has already changed music in such a big way I think that they would have changed modern music in such a big way!

Answer
Nick,

I'm so sorry for the massive delay in getting back to you.  I'm away from home right now but that's not a very good excuse.  Sorry you had to wait so long to get a reply.

Well to be super cheesy... "I don't practice Santeria, I aint got no crystal ball."  I obviously can't predict or forsee the future so I'm not entirely certain what would have happened if Brad were still alive today.  To go back a little further, back when I heard 40 Oz. to Freedom for the first time in 1992 (or whenever Brad gave me a copy), I knew that that the music was incredible and that Brad was uber talented but I also couldn't really envision Brad being so crazily popular today.  It's just one of those things that is so hard to imagine.  Your friend playing music and you loving the music but millions worldwide knowing his songs...?  That was just a little too much to fathom.

So I don't really know what Sublime would sound like today.  I do know that Brad would have continued to innovate and fall in love with different types of music.  He also would have found creative ways to fuse together different genres of music that many didn't think belong together.  Seamlessly putting together country, reggae and punk?  Why not?  He did give us a very modern and original version of a song that George Gershwin wrote around 1935 for an opera (Summertime).

So yes, I think that Brad would still be creating incredible music but I also think that the mainstream would probably not quite understand his genius.  After all of the success of the self titled album, I could easily see Brad making music that a lot of people didn't like.  I could see him making weird and experimental albums that pushed the limits of people's patience.  It is important to understand Brad's punk rock or contrarian streak.  He loved to make great music but he also was fiercely independent and original.  I could see him being under contract with a big label and then making an album and just giving it away to piss off the lame corporate people who he generally despised.  He was also the type of dude who would play an entire set of Bon Jovi and Poison covers just to bum out people and also because he thought that was funny.  That would have been his version of being truly punk rock.

If Brad and Sublime were around today they would probably be making the same amount of enemies as friends.  They would probably be a polarizing force at times.  They would probably be misunderstood and unappreciated by some.  They would also be loved by millions who love that soulful and melodic mix of ska, punk, reggae and simply  great music.

Sorry again for the delay.

Andy

Sublime

Andy Hill