Sublime/Sublime and Religion

Question
We're Sublime religious at all?

Answer
Dylan,

I'll speak to the core three: Bud, Eric, and Brad.

Eric: I don't know. I doubt it for how much fun he and Brad poked at Bud.

Bud: When Bud was recovering from addiction, he left a message on Brad's phone that was a rant praising Jesus. They kept the phone message and made a song mocking it. That recording was the initial recording for the song "Get Out!", but unfortunately they lost the audio and, consequently, they switched it up and used a recording from the landlord and rewrote the lyrics.

Brad: Brad wasn't religious, but he grew up in a family with religion. He poked fun at it when he could and sometime would butt heads with his religiously conservative step-mom. You'll find references to religion that are anything but religious such as the lyrics of "Same in the End":

"...Sunday morning hold church down at the bar/
Get down on my knees and start to pray/
Pray my itchy rash will go away...

and also in "Don't Push":

"Lord have his grilled cheese!"

That line is a mocking version of "Lord have mercy" according to friend and fellow musician Jack Maness.

Brad was an equal opportunity offender though when it came to religion. He was once suspended from college and had to write a paper for a prank he pulled on the Jewish faith.

That said, he was not anti-religion and he didn't hate anyone based on their faith. He was just curious about it all and felt that there wasn't anything that couldn't be poked for fun.

These stories are in the book Crazy Fool which I hope you have access to. If not, email me at mdmaguirespam AT comcast DOT net.

Sorry for the delay. I had finals for a course (in school nights) and work has been hectic, not to mention my little daughter is starting to wander around the house. Lord have his grilled cheese!

Matt

Sublime

Matt Maguire