Sublime/Anarchism

Question
Greetings, Andy and everybody reading this! I want to thank you for all the information you so lovingly put out there. Much appreciated. From the lyrical themes and behavior I got some ideas. Were Sublime (or Brad!) anarchists?

Answer
Marcelo,

Thanks for the good question.  I haven't had a query in a while so I need to get off my lazy butt and write you back.

Punk rockers like Brad are very often associated with anarchism which is a fair connection to make especially punk rockers of the 80's.  I would say that Brad was not an anarchist at all, especially as a political idea.  He probably would have been very curious intellectually to see what would happen and this curiosity comes across in the song, "April 26, 1992."  Brad was fascinated by life, especially the parts of life when it didn't go by the script, as we say.  

One of the first songs that Brad exposed me to and it remains one of my favorites today is "Anarchy Burger" by the Vandals.  I'm not sure if Brad was ever recorded covering this song but it was one of those songs that had an influence on him as most Vandal songs did.

Brad was not an anarchist but at times he would embrace chaos.  He just liked to see what would happen when people did stupid stuff.  He liked to see the reaction of all people to random acts of mischief and chaos.  Two songs that come to mind with these themes are "Ebin" and "What Happened."

Have a rockin' Christmas/December Holiday season.  

Sublime

Andy Hill