Hello Andy! The more I read about Brad (interviews, bands Sublime went on tour with, etc) the more I get the feeling that he had ADHD just like me or some kind of "behavioral problems". I remember reading he was a bright, but difficult child. Any input?

You're totally correct.  Brad was diagnosed as a child with ADD.  I'm not sure if he was also diagnosed with the hyperactivity component.  I think that in the 1970's, the main diagnosis was simply ADHD and not ADD or ADHD as it is now.

I was also diagnosed with ADD as a child.  Brad and I were basically the first generation of ritalin children out of the '70's.  Our parents were doing their best but both of us were probably both inherently difficult.  I would say that Brad was probably a normal kid in many ways but the school system probably couldn't always deal with high energy kids like him or me.  I don't think that Brad had any real crazy behavioral problems as a kid (I could be wrong).  He was very bright, curious, artistic and completely an independent thinker.

What I'm curious about is if taking ritalin as a child predisposes a person to future risk of drug abuse with similar stimulants (ritalin is basically "speed" or a mellower crystal meth).

I didn't know Brad as a child so I'm just guessing with some of my answer and basing it on conversations that we had close to thirty years ago (yikes!!).

Nowdays, ADD and ADHD are totally overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed.  It's insane how many kids supposedly have this and are taking medication for it but they really aren't true ADD kids.  I guess that's a completely different rant.

Sorry for the late answer.  I'm on vacation and away from home.

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.