Sublime/Officer move

I am aware that this song was brought up before here and is actually credited as "Ganja Gladiator" on some bootlegs, but those are very short snippets and not really what I am talking about. The longest version I heard is of the Groove Tube performance in Florida:

Do you have any idea what the lyrics are? They are really hard to make out! - Officer move... It's been so long... Officer waiting... Get on the floor... - is all I understand.

Is this an original song or was it inspired by someone else? And is the rumor true that a studio recording exists of this song/dub?

Thanks a bunch, Matt! Nik

This is a Sublime Unfinished Original, of which there are many. I have worked out hundreds of pieces to the puzzle that we call Sublime, crediting artists where Sublime borrowed their sound.

Officer Move might have a bass line from something or a chorus from an old reggae track, but thus far it hasn't surfaced.

You'll often have trouble figuring out the lyrics to the new songs because there might not be any yet. Brad freestyle riffs some lines about being "down on 2nd Street in Grenada [California -- northern CA], officer at Bay Shore [Avenue, Long Beach]". My guess is these are places the band had experiences with police, but the song isn't thought out yet in that video.

There is a studio version of a song similar to this. You might find it called "Don't Act Stuck Up" -- it's only a 0:51 studio outtake that pulls from "At it Again" which is based on the song Ko Lo Ko by Clement Irie. I don't know of anything longer than that.

Matt Maguire

Guarantee: you will receive an answer within 2 days of posting the question -- whether it is a referral to a different expert or a straight answer to your question. I can answer most questions about the band, the significance of the lyrics, the show dates, the unreleased albums and tracks, misinformation, and, above all, I am an expert on their influences and related music. Additionally, if you're looking for that hard to find track or a cheap alternative to the $300 book Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk, I might be able to help.

I have been a huge fan for 16 years, I ran a server which distributed Sublime's live and unreleased music 24/7 for 4 years, I have answered questions about the band daily for a decade on their old website, and I know some of the largest collectors in the world. I created the 5 CD bootleg "Rewind Selector" which documents the influences of Sublime and was the topic of a Spin Magazine interview.

I did not study music in college, but I majored in English, so I can write a clear response. I worked as a research assistant in the past, so I have skills in research if I need to figure out an answer.

Sublime fans aren't my clients, but I have distributed swag and rare tracks to all those who want them for years at little cost.