Sublime/New Song

What are the effects Brad is using in New Song for his voice? I heard auto-tune wasn't out until 97.

I probably should have rejected this question because I really don't know which effects he was using for his voice.  You are correct; auto-tune wasn't around until 1997 and this song came out in 1992.

Important to know too was the album that this came out on (40 Oz. to Freedom) was not some high-tech big money, big bucks record company album.  It was basically two untrained 23 or 24 year old dudes making their own album.  Of course Brad was incredibly talented but he was not a professional producer with many high tech tools to help him.  For me that is why this entire album is so incredible. Brad's soulful singing, talent for song writing and Sublime's musicianship make this an incredibly new type of sound despite no help at all from industry professionals.  It was a true Do It Yourself effort.

Your mention of auto-tune made me think was there something similar to auto-tune that came out before?  I think that Brad would not have had access to it even if it did exist.

It's too bad that you just can't ask Miguel.  My guess is that if they did do something different it was probably a relatively low tech method like running his voice through some other device to achieve some weird effect.  

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.