Sublime/Step Into A World?

So I recently stumbled upon the song Step Into A World by Sublime which is not sang by Bradley Nowell... What is the history behind this song? Did Brad make it? Did he die before he sang it? Was it really by Sublime?

Hey Drew,

Step Into A World is a KRS-One song which came out in 1997.  Brad died in May of 1996.  Brad was a big fan of KRS-One and his acoustic song of him off of 40 Oz. to Freedom testifies to this.

So as far as I know the Sublime version or cover that you heard is Bud and Eric playing along to the KRS-One version of this.  It's safe to assume that this was done after Brad's death. Here's what someone (G-Man) who is more knowledgeable about the recordings said about it: "That step into a world was Eric and bud playing over the song by KRS-ONE but from what I heard Marshall just liked the song and wanted to do a remix of it for one of the upcoming "post-Bradley" sublime albums... I think that it was supposed to end up on Second Hand Smoke, and then it was going to be a single, etc. etc... but it ended up as kind of a throw away... just an experiment,... but I think it ended up on the ETUS (sic) box set."  I also asked Eddie V. who posted the video on youtube and he basically said the same thing.

As far as I know, it was not on the EUTS box set.

I hope that this helps.

Take care,

Andy Hill

I lived with Brad for two years and I was a close friend of his so I feel like I am pretty qualified to answer some questions about Sublime. I will do my best to answer questions about Bud, Eric, Miguel and of course Brad. I should also be qualified to answer a few questions about Brad's lyrics that are in Spanish. With many topics though, like merchandise, bootlegs, and many other things I am completely under qualified. Refer these questions and any others that require extensive research to Matt (ha, ha, ha.)

Most of my experience in the area obviously comes from living with and hanging out with Brad. I've read the Crazy Fool book twice and I've also watched Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations along with countless other interviews and videos. When it really comes down to it though, I have not become a Sublime scholar like Matt has. If you want a personal insight on some questions then I am your man for the job.

Some of my writings about Sublime have appeared on the Sublime Forum and on the Sublime Wiki.

I am not sure if it matters but I am a college graduate. Adequate writing skills combined with my personal experience enable me to answer many questions. If I don't feel like I can answer a question well, I will tell you so or refer you to Matt.

I do not financially benefit from anything Sublime. I do not sell or deal with Sublime merchandise, bootlegs or other recordings. My interest in being a Sublime "expert" is mostly altruistic. I've seen a lot of lies, half-truths and exaggerations out there about Brad and Sublime so I would like to debunk some of these myths or falsifications if possible.