Sublime/Sublime Documentary: Rewind Selector

Question
Hello,

I'm a big fan of Sublime (I bet you get that a lot) (who isn't).  I had an idea that I've thought about a lot for years now.. I believe it's a HUGE idea.  Who better to ask than an expert?  I saw a post on talkbass, with a collaborative of tracks that relate to the original artists. I've been a huge fan of reggae for years before that, my step dad was a big part of my musical interests.  I wasn't brought up to speed on Sublime until 1996, but I heard tracks from various reggae/hip hop artists in the music and it sparked my interest.  I soon found that Brad was ultimately a GENIUS in how he remade the tracks, spun them, weaved them, and ultimately defined a new genre of reggae rock. I was hearing multiple of genres formed into the Sublime style, snip its from James Brown's Funky Drummer and so on and so on, that you touched on with Rewind Selector.  I never searched for the answers until recently.  I was taken back, there was actually someone like me who had heard the same details of music, not just the sound, beat, rhythm, and words but the actual musical references from which they came.  My point: A  Sublime Documentary.  The History of Reggae Rock as told by the musical influences that created Sublime.  Currently bands like Rebelution, Dirty Heads, Slightly Stoopid, and so on are surviving by the influences of Sublime. But the influences that created Sublime aren't really known to the public. I've always wondered what do original reggae artists think of Sublime and reggae rock bands in America now? Interviewing Bands currently and getting their take on Sublime.  Interviewing Jamaican reggae artists and hearing their prospective.  Hip Hop, Ska, Punk, etc.. the list goes on.  I have had a hard time piecing it all together in what direction to go, but it would be one hell of a story, and the best place I think to get it told and a lot of intricate aspects would be Cali Roots Festival.  Showcasing something there maybe? I was thinking a Go Fund Me would be the best method, the reggae rock community is very receptive to helping getting something together.  I just need to know if this has been done, or if you think this is worth the time and effort?  I hope this email finds you.  Respectfully, Jeff Fleezy

Answer
Jeff,

I think it's a great idea if it gets the support from the right people. Keep in mind that there are a few documentary-type things out there -- the 2001 VH1 Behind the Music and the MTV Biorhythm from years earlier. Then there's also the book by Heidi Sigmund Cuda, "Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk".

Although I've spearheaded the Rewind Selector album through 3 versions from 2000-2008, mixing up to 100 tracks, designed the artwork, and wrote the 40+ page supplement to go with it, there are others who are hard at work looking at the musical influences as well. One project that got my attention was by a guy who calls himself DJ Funktual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmfG7TsqyU

I love what he did with the idea.

My background is just an east coast liberal arts preppie from Massachusetts who loved Sublime for more of his life than not.

Find me here:
https://www.facebook.com/matt.maguire.5836

Matt  

Sublime

Matt Maguire