Sublime/"Wrong Way" demo/bootleg

Question
Hi Matt, aspiring Sublime historian here. I take special pride in my collection of bootlegs and demo versions of songs, whether it be Sublime or any other band I'm into.

I have a copy of a demo version of Date Rape in which the low and mid end of the EQ is boosted really high, making it hard to hear Brad's vocals. However, if you flatten it out manually, you can hear Brad singing lyrics that are obviously different from the album release. From what I can understand, it starts something like

"Annie was with me, back in 1993
Oh it was so the wrong way"

I can't find any other information about the song, not even where I originally got the file from, and all the people I've shown it to are just as stumped as I am. Someone said the only demo they knew of was an acoustic one, but this version clearly has bass and drums in it. Know anything about it?

Answer
EDITED FROM THE ORIGINAL

Zack,

Once you sent me the track and clarified that this was a Wrong Way demo, it was easier to track the source.

I knew I had heard it, but there's so many versions out there that it's tough to pin it down. It's especially difficult to track this one down because 3 min and 9 secs of this track were trimmed from the beginning in your version. If the original was there, I'd know it immediately.

In the end, it took one listen through to give me a big tip in the last 5 seconds.

Brad sings "New world Jamaica" instead of "it ruins her makeup"...

This isn't Wrong Way at all! It's New World Jamaica (the precursor).

Anyway, whatever bootleg you got this off of was just compilation album, because as a collector I've never heard of "Sean Collins Dub Stylee". It could have been a mislabeled and chopped up version of the original album. Was this track 6? Were there weird symbols in the tracklist?

The is found only on Psycho Semantic Police, by "bumS lie" (Sublime)

The full track list goes like this (with radio interviews and banter and Loveline and Raleigh junk mixed in):

1) STP
2) Once cup of coffee/judge not
3) Just ICE/DJs
4) Freeway Version
5) Pass Me the Laserbeam
6) New World Jamaica
7) Greatest Hits extended
8) Saw Red Bandelero
9) Voodoo
10) Poolshark
11) Seven Inches with Wesley
12) Get Out
13) Del Noah "Chicken"
14) Del Noah "13 & Fat"
15) Boss DJ
16) Del Noah "Greasy Lesbian Hamburger Fight"
17) I Ain't No Prophet

Hopefully you have this bootleg album. You know how to reach me, if not.

Matt

Sublime

Matt Maguire