Sugar Gliders/sugar glider

what does it eat?
does it really fly?
are they hard to take care of?
do they have long or short hair?

Sugar gliders have a very needy diet, they NEED fresh fruit (a variety), monkey pellets (their staple diet), glider ade and bugs and berries EVERY DAY.. they can not survive well on cat food, which is what some un educated backyard breeders will tell you. Its cheap, yes, but the corn in it will eventually kill your glider.

They MUST be kept in pairs or groups, they are very social creatures and keeping one alone will almost certainly cause it to become depressed and it goes down hill fast from there. No they don't fly, if you work with them enough they may glide to you from a higher point. But it takes a lot of work.

They need very large cages, 2 gliders will need a cage that is at least 3 foot wide by 3 foot long by 4 foot high. So you are looking at a 200$ cage. And they need ALOT of toys and new toys often to keep them from becoming bored.

When I first bought gliders, I spent about 700$ just getting their cage, all the toys, the bedding and their food. And I was spending about 50$ a month on 2 gliders. Which does not seem like a lot, but you wind up throwing out a lot of fruits due to them rotting or getting freezer burn.

To be perfectly honest, they are amazing pets, if you will take the time and money to put into them and if you read before getting them. They need a good 2-4 hours of play time with you everyday. I cant tell you how many gliders I get brought to me that people went out and bought on a whim and within 3 months the glider ate its back legs due to it being so bored, alone and stressed out. That or they get so ill due to people improperly feeding them.

I highly suggest you get books or read online about them, their diet and husbandry needs, as well as the do's and dont's of them. They are truly like a toddler. If you are willing to dedicate a lot of time and money and will read up on them, then they will be great pets. But if you try to wing it, get cheap on them and their needs or if you are often tired after work and don't feel like playing with them.. then they will not be a good pet for you and you will wind up with untamed, very mean and possibly ill and depressed gliders.

Sugar Gliders

Amber Barrett

I can answer most questions on sugar gliders. What to do before, during and after pregnancy, how to tame babies or adults, dietary questions, housing, etc. I can not properly diagnose or take place of vetrinary care for a glider but I can give suggestions.

I have had and raised sugar gliders for over 12 years, I currently own 10 gliders and have done my fair share of research on gliders.

Extensive research on gliders, owning numerous gliders throughout the years.