Sugar Gliders/Untamed Rescued Sugar Gliders

Question
Ivey
Ivey  

Chloe
Chloe  
Hi, I just rescued two female sugar gliders, both with missing ears due to the mother nipping at them. They are very untamed and like to bite and crab any time I put my hand near them. Do you have any advice on a good way to bond with them or to stop the biting? And any advise on what to do about their ears if you have any would be great too.

Answer
I don't really think there is much you can do as far as their ears go. As long as the ears look healthy I wouldn't worry about them too much.

You will have to be very patient with these girls. Start small by hand offering treats through the cage bars - this allows them to get the treat without being able to bite. After a while, do it in the cage, after that try putting the treat in your palm to force them to have to touch you to get it.

A mesh pop tent, such as a Sansbug or Genji, is also a great tool for bonding. You can go in it with them, and let them explore, and better yet - explore you. There's a good chance they won't want to be done with play time, so male sure you bring a piece of fleece so you can grab them to put them back in the pouch. This way they won't relate the grabbing to your hands.  

Sugar Gliders

Jen Souza