Sugar Gliders/male sugar glider

I have had pepper for over a year, we got her when she was 6months.  We just recently rescued a tailless male. They bonded right away and are very happy and close. It appears they have mated and our pepper will be having a joey ( we will be keeping him/her.  We will be bringing Salt to be neutered asap.  My questing is, when salt comes home and if Pepper has a boy or girl what should we do to keep them all safe and have no inter breeding if the joey is a male?  Will Salt still try and breed if he's fixed?  Do sons try and mate with their mothers?

Thank you so much,
Jill Molin

Most breeders ( just using this as a term for anyone who has had a joey in their group), will find that a new joey can cause many issues. I mostly rescue now, as it was so hard for me to see all the gliders I was given and the condition they were in.. I didn't want that for any of my babies. But when I did breed them, I never kept joeys with the parents until long after weaning. If the joey was a female, right after weaning she went in her own cage and was left for quite some time ( about 5-6 months). I made sure to leave her cage as close as possible to the parents and allowed them daily play together.

But keeping them apart will prevent stress on the mom. Some joeys never will wean if left in the adult cage. You will have a full grown 2 year old glider still riding on moms back and trying to nurse. Usually after the separation and proper introduction again, I wouldn't have any weaning issues.

But if the joey is a male, it MUST be fixed as early as possible. Some mature way early or way late so you never really know when he can get the female pregnant again. I pull the males right at weaning, fix them and keep them just as I would a female joey until about 5 or 6 months again.

But even 2 fixed males can cause issues. One will want to be dominant, or even the female can pick on the 2 males. You never really know how they are going to act until it happens. I would have some parents that automatically bonded with their older joey and others who would try and kill the joey or the joey would attack the parents.

As far as getting the male(s) fixed, I would pull the male right now and get him fixed. As you can miss your chance to make it happen and can end up with another group of joeys, which will be bad for all the babies as well as mom. Just watch out, as fixing males can cause them to change their behavior. It is different for every glider. As can breeding, most "breeder" gliders become nasty once bred. They will change totally and can get very aggressive, although again not all do this.

Having a joey is a stressful time for anyone. Especially if you run into any issues. But for now just focus on getting the male fixed ( separate him in a small cage even, if he seems to be struggling in with the female). Let me know if you run into any more problems or have any questions! Good luck with your new baby.

Sugar Gliders

Amber Barrett

I can answer most questions on sugar gliders. What to do before, during and after pregnancy, how to tame babies or adults, dietary questions, housing, etc. I can not properly diagnose or take place of vetrinary care for a glider but I can give suggestions.

I have had and raised sugar gliders for over 12 years, I currently own 10 gliders and have done my fair share of research on gliders.

Extensive research on gliders, owning numerous gliders throughout the years.