Suicide Prevention/plz help

i have been experiencing uncontrollable hairfall .  i went to saloon today and the stylist said i would become bald if my hair falls at this rate.. i dont wanna live like this .. you know .. becoming bald.. i am getting suicidal tendencies .. please help me

bad hair day!
bad hair day!  
Hi Saloni,

I need more information in order to help you properly, so what I have to say is basic.

First, I think it was unfair and unprofessional for your stylist to tell you that you will become bald if your hair loss continues. He/she has caused you unnecessary stress and worry, and should be held accountable for this. If he/she really believed that you are at risk of going bald, he/she should has suggested that you see your doctor to discuss your hair loss. I am curious as to whether this stylist then tried to sell you products- such as a volumising product to make your hair appear fuller, or perhaps shampoo formulated to prevent hair loss..? Regardless, most people go to the hairdresser to feel better about themselves, as it provides a 'pick me up' and boosts confidence. It is unacceptable to spend your time and money only to come away from the appointment feeling bad about yourself. I wonder what this person's motive was in telling you such a thing! I think you should speak to the manager as you are due an apology.

On a more positive note, there are MANY reasons for hair loss. Hair will fall out for many reasons, including stress, pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations, side effects of some medications, vitamin deficiency, and so forth. It would be a good idea for you to see your doctor and get to the bottom of this problem.

May I ask you:

Your age, and gender
Have you a history of depression?
Are there any other problems going on for you at present?
Is the hair-loss general, or is it specifically in one area (alopecia)

If you could answer these I will be able to help you more specifically. Meanwhile, here is an informative article to read on the topic.

I hope to speak with you again soon, Saloni.

:-) Rachel  

Suicide Prevention

Rachel Hurst

All questions sent to me will receive a warm and caring response. I'll do my utmost to address a persons particular problem, but in most cases will also attempt to supply that individual with additional resources which might be of further benefit. There are many helpful online support groups where readers can benefit from the ongoing support of others who have suffered similar problems. These groups offer invaluable peer support from others who have 'been there'. As well as responding to your initial letter, I'll attempt to provide ongoing encouragement when this is needed. Advice will be focused on addressing the writers individual needs, and providing related information and resources. I would try to ensure that any person seeking advice has accurate and up-to-date information on the signs and symptoms of depression, and importantly, is made aware that help is available through many different avenues. Where I feel that it's relative and helpful I would mention my own life experiences with depression and coping with a loved one's suicide (however, only in context.) I would be on the lookout for warning signs that the person is in crisis and may require immediate intervention. As such I would arm myself with as much information as possible in order to refer them to the help they need. In cases where I believed the persons life to be in imminent danger I would contact authorities in their area, or if unknown, I would call the emergency services in my area in order for the person to be located through tracking.

I am by no means a trained professional. My knowledge comes mainly through life experience, having endured the devastating loss of my best friend through suicide, as well as my own subsequent battle with depression following his death. I found that my own experience of losing a loved one to suicide put me in a strong position to help others, due to my ability to empathize (as opposed to sympathizing). I became knowledgeable on the topic of grief, and the extensive repertoire of depressive illnesses, signs, symptoms, and treatment options available to people in crisis.

S.O.L.O.S. Survivors of Loved Ones Suicide - Active member since 2003.

'Marie Claire' Australian, 'Cleo' (Australian), Online discussion forums (in which my submissions have stimulated discussion and generated much feedback).

I am a professional writer. I was trained in journalism. Please see my profile in Linked In. I have studied related subjects during training as a registered nurse. Both of my parents are mental health professionals. However most of reading widely and life experience has been my greatest teacher.

I have helped a number of individuals who have sought my take on a particular problem, or whom I have felt concern for, for various reasons.