Suicide Prevention/Suicide Prevention

Rachel Hurst wrote at 2013-04-29 03:48:46
Lynne is right in that your friend is very fortunate to have you by her side. Being a good friend and supporting somebody who is feeling suicidal can feel like a draining and thankless task. But it is also the most selfless, kind act that you can do. Remind your friend that you love her unconditionally, and would be devastated to lose her the way you did your sister. I would encourage her to look on some online forums for the loved ones of those who have lost someone to suicide. There she will see the heartbreak and pain of the people left behind, and will have a glimpse into the nightmare her parents, you, and others who care for her will have ahead of them. Have you spoken with her parents? Perhaps she needs to be on medication, or hospitalized for a period of time. But what about you? I think it's vital that you see a good counselor yourself to work through your feelings, and the fear you are facing about losing your friend as you did your sister. A good counselor will help you to help your friend. I think this is an important first step. If you can't afford to see one, phone a crisis line for referral. At 16 you have an enormous load on your plate in tying to help your friend soon after the loss of your sister. Good luck.  Rachel

Suicide Prevention

Lynne Luckett

I can answer questions about surviving suicide, about losing a family member to suicide and how to heal the hole that is left behind by a loved one committing suicide.

My father committed suicide when I was 8 years old. It took me 13 years to even start dealing with his death but once the healing started it was truly an educational experience. I know now that he is with me all the time and though his physical self is no longer here, his spirtual self lives on in me and my son. I'm now 49 and have talked to several people about losing a loved one to suicide and have received some positive feedback about my advice. I am a medical transcripitionist and have been in the medical field for 20+ years. I feel I survived my dad's death to have the understanding to be able to help others. I love to help others.