Suicide Prevention/Friends cutting?

Question
Hi. So me and my friends have this chat thing set up where we can ask each other anonymous questions. I asked my friends if any of them had ever cut themselves and got 2 responses saying 'yes' out of four of us. I have further talked with my friends but they are both very against therapy. Me and my other friend have friend but she won't go. I don't know what to do. Please help! Me and my friends are all 13.

Answer
At least you\'re not a probiscus monkey!
At least you're not a  
Hi Ashley,

Wow.. I am stunned! Two out of four? It shocks me how prevalent self harming has become. 13 is a confusing, difficult age for most people. It may take time before your friends feel they are ready to get help.. and may not even recognize that they have a potentially very serious problem. You say they won't consider therapy.. but perhaps they might be open to joining a support group of some kind, even online, whereby they can learn more about the condition of self harming, what leads to it, how to manage it, etc. Ashley many teenagers who self harm have had troubled childhoods, often involving sexual about or other sorts of pain that is difficult for a young person to make sense of and process. Your friends *do* need help, and I'm so glad you recognise this.

I will get back to you after the weekend with some resources that you can share with your friends. It's up to them whether they seek help in the end, but if they choose not to it would be wise for you to keep an eye out for them and TELL somebody you feel you can trust.. your guidance counseller at school.. or a teacher you feel you can talk to. Your parents would be a good place to start, if you are able to confide in them, and trust them.         

I'd like to commend you on being so smart and switched on Ashley. You are a wonderful, caring, responsible friend - and your friends are very lucky to have somebody like you in their lives! You're a good person, and should feel very proud of yourself for taking the initiative to get your friends help instead of ignoring the situation.  

Speak to you in a few days with some useful info and resources for your friends
Ashley.

Love from Rachel :)  

Suicide Prevention

Rachel Hurst