Suicide Prevention/trying put an incident to rest

Question
hello rachel,
this pretty much has to do with the situation over two of my dad's plants by our driveway. they were side by side and spread apart. they would go untouched when my dad was at work, but when he was at home, and his car was in the driveway, it would be parked near the plants. i guess that is what caused the mail man to move one of the plants out his way, instead of just walking around them.
i don't have proof, but i know the plants were further apart before the mail man came. i would keep telling my mom how upset i've been over this matter. i guess she got tired of hearing about it, and she finally moved the plants by our garage, where no one can touch them. i can't tell you how happy i was before this incident happened. everything was going great, and i would like to get there again. i should be over this matter instead of dwelling on it. it has been over two weeks and i'm still almost as upset about it as on the day it happened. i'm sure that jerk is still delivering mail to our house. i'm always wishing bad luck to him. i'd love to get some pointers from you on how to put this matter to rest. thanks for time as always.

Answer
Dear Greg,
I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply.. I've been away and was unable to log in from the place I was staying. I do hope since you wrote that things have improved somewhat and you're feeling better.

I'm no doctor, but I would hazard a guess that you may be suffering a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and in this case the disorder affects your thoughts. I've found a very good link that explains in a nutshell what this is, and what you can do about it. There are other useful resources on line, and I'll source them for you then get back to you as soon as I can.  I would be interested to know what you think of the info on the link, and whether you agree that this might be a problem for you..? If so there are many effective methods of controlling your thoughts, and hopefully we can find something that will help you. Would you be open to seeing a counseller to help you work through this problem?

I'll speak to you again soon Greg. Again, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

Hugs,

Rachel :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

Suicide Prevention

Rachel Hurst