Sun Operating System/Connecting to remote

Question
When I tried to connect to remote linux machine using telnet I got this error

C:\Windows\system32>telnet xx.xx.xx.xx
Connecting To xx.xx.xx.xx Could not open connection to the host, on port 2
3: Connect failed

Also I tried with telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 22 to know ports open. then i got this in command prompt
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8
donno how to proceed next..
help me..

Answer
While this isn't strictly Solaris, I believe I can answer your question.

"Telnet" requires that the system you're communicating to have software installed and running to receive and respond to you.  That's the "telnet daemon".   If that's not running, you will get exactly what you see when you use the standard port for telnet.   It's possible that the administrator for that system has intentionally disabled telnet on that system, due to the rather low security with telnet.

When you connected to port 22, you got a different answer, because while telnet is typically on port 23, port 22 is normally used for "ssh", or "Secure SHell".  You can use "ssh" the same way you normally use telnet, but it's secured by encrypting the connection.

Sun Operating System

Jay Plesset