Supermarkets/Convenience Stores/Starting my own business

Hello I'm John Sutton from N.D. I am planning to find a way to start my own discount supermarket.So let's say I have the necessary capital to get started.Do you think that nowadays it is possible to compete with big retail department stores and make some profit and avoid making loss?
In addition, what are the main difficulties and risks of having your own store?What's the worst thing that could happen to you,
financially and legally?Do supermarket owners usually rent the place or do they buy it before starting the business?

Hi John,

Yes you can be successful as an independent Supermarket operator! There are many examples in every state in this great country. To be successful you must understand the grocery business and surround yourself with lots of good people.

The worst thing that can happen is that loose everything. The best thing that can happen is that you can have everything that you dream about. It is up you you.

I would suggest you begin to contact people who can answer your questions and provide guidance in ND. A couple of suggestions:

North Dakota Grocers Association
200 East Main Ave.
Bismark, ND 58502

Nash Finch (A very good wholesaler that services independent supermarkets with goods and services)
1425 Burdick Exp
Minot ND 58701

Good Luck.

Supermarkets/Convenience Stores

Jerry Pinney

Merchandising, Building Strategic Alliances with Suppliers, Strategic Planning,Customer Service and Community Involvement are areas that I have a lot of expierence.

Past/Present clients