Surfing & Windsurfing/Recommended sails for F2 Strato board

Dear Windlover,

I am quite happy to come across to this site and hope you can help me. I have been surfing for 20 years in lake Balaton in Hungary. My equipment consists of F2 Strato board and a 6.0 F2 sail from North Sails. All the equipment is more than 20 years old and was working perfectly.

Unfortunately 2 weeks ago the sail was torn presumably because of its age and I need to purchase a new one and go on windsurfing.

So my question is: What type of sail should I get that is the most appropriate and effective for my F2 Strato board? Can I use a brand new modern sail with the same characteristics? If yes, what type? Can I use the original accessories (mast, boom, connecting parts etc.) with the newly purchased sail? If it is possible, I would like to avoid extra costs.

Many thanks for your help in advance and waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

Hey Atti,

The key to using your current mast is knowing the specs of your mast. Length in cm, stiffness or MCS, and constant curve or flex tip. If this info is not on your mast the look at the bottom of your sail. It should be printed along the bottom edge. Then look for sails that require the same size mast. Many of the older North sails used flex tip masts but ALL newer sails use constant curve masts. I'm not sure how to determine which type your mast is as they didn't always mark them. Length and stiffness are the largest factors for the newer sail when you start shopping. Look for sails in the same size range (5.5-6.5). Brand and type are more of a preference but avoid race sails (more than two cambers).

Hope this helps.
Keep on sailing,

Surfing & Windsurfing

I have 26 years experience windsurfing and can answer many questions regarding technique for all levels, equipment rigging, how to go fast, some tricks, and where to sail in your area. I can also provide many links to info regarding travel, gear, and how-to`s. For those looking for older parts or general info regarding older equipment, I can usually help.

26 years windsurfing throughout many parts of the USA & Canada.

Number one expert at